From goodreads: Whoever said money couldn’t buy happiness has never starved a day in their lives.
My name is Aria Valencia, a third year classical music student at the University, and I was down to my last dollar. Some nights, I seriously considered stripping at the Skin Bar just to make ends meet, but the thought of my dad’s spirit–God rest his soul–scowling at me while I shoved my breasts into some pervert’s face was enough to turn me off the idea completely.
And then one night, chance came knocking on my door under the guise of the Midnight Society, a secret cabal comprised of the most wealthy and influential souls this side of the Universe. Their leader was a man named Shadow, who was equally enigmatic as he was gorgeous and, for some mystifying reason, had his dark brooding eyes focused on me.
Seduced by the promises of fame and fortune in exchange for a seemingly innocent request, I soon found myself drawn into a provocative world filled with both vast riches and unending lies and it didn’t take long for me to realize what being a part of the Midnight Society actually entailed: shiny things, hot sex, and dead bodies.
There’s a dark side to every love story, and this one was mine.
Semblance is a good story and one that is filled with mystery, some steaminess and angst. It does leave you on a bit of a cliff-hanger which can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I love a good cliff hanger because it gives me something to look forward to but the wait usually feels like torture. I really struggled writing this review because there were a lot of moments that were 3 stars, some moments that were 4 stars and an instance where it was 5 stars. Finally I settled on 3 stars and these are my reasons why:
Things that worked really well:
- The suspense was absolutely fabulous and the mystery about the Midnight Society had me on the edge of my seat!
- Plot twists: fantastic and I never saw them coming!
- Aria is a heroine that isn’t insecure; she knows who she is and what she wants. Love that.
Things that were so-so:
- Sometimes the dialogue seemed a bit forced giving it a choppy feel to the overall flow of the story.
- Aria and Shadow fell for each other way too fast, I’m not a fan of insta-love.
- I wanted Shadow to hold onto his secrets and not share right away because the mystery is was makes him so swoon worthy.
- There were moments when the pacing was too quick in areas when it should have slowed down and vice-versa.
Semblance is a suspense driven story, one I truly enjoyed despite my concerns because all the plot twists and turns were fabulous. If you are looking for a story that’s different and a total page turner…this is the book for you!